Republic of Liberia
Ministry of Youth and Sports
Samuel Kanyon Doe Sports Complex
Position: Program Manager
The Ministry of Youth & Sports (MYS) has established a Program Management Unit (PMU) that will dramatically reduce project fragmentation amongst programs, departments, and projects. The Ministry also oversees the management of Component two of the Youth, Employment, Skills project (YES). This component deals with Employment through Skills Training. The project finances formal and informal skills training programs with the purpose of improving youth employability, employment and supporting institutional development for TVET, especially for certification, policy development, M&E project management and impact assessment. As the focal person for the coordination and control of all projects and funded activities, the program manager will serve as direct link to MYS, World Bank and the managing agency, and will report directly to the Minister. He/she will be responsible for the development of project operating systems and fiduciary accountability and control.
The Program Manager will, on behalf of the Government of Liberia supervise all activities in Component 2 of the YES project. In this role, he/she will be responsible for:
· Developing and implementing a plan for the supervision of the management agency.
· Ensuring that all tasks are completed and that the management agency is paid on the timetable established within the terms of the contract (s).
· Reviewing the monitoring & evaluation plan developed by the management agency, recommending adjustments to this plan and ensuring its implementation.
· Preparing all necessary reports, schedules and coordinating all implementation support missions for the World Bank.
· Coordinating with the Ministry’s technical and service units to provide needed actions to fulfill grant requirements.
· Providing the Minister and senior MYS officials with monthly status reports regarding implementation, budget variances, time schedule compliance, and performing other duties as may be required by the Ministry.
· Masters degree or its equivalent, with a major in relevant discipline (Public Administration, Management, etc.)
· At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in managing similar programs
· Must be computer literate
Skills and Experience
· Knowledge of management techniques, methods, theories, principles, and labor relations concepts to assure optimum utilization of personnel, equipment, and space, and to accomplish program objectives through combined technical and administrative oversight
· Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate work of subordinate managers, employees, and/or others;
· Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of appropriate operations, policies, applicable laws, regulations, rules, practices and procedures.
· Knowledge of budget and fiscal methods used in establishing and maintaining an organization.
· Proven ability in analytical and evaluative skills, including the ability to independently provide well-researched analysis of key procurement issues and problems.
· Ability to identify and handle complex issues without adding unnecessary complexity to tasks or projects.
· Willingness and ability to travel to remote locations within Liberia to regularly supervise and monitor project activities.
Interested candidates should submit applications, along with CV to the following address on or before May 21, 2012:
Ministry of Youth & Sports/SKD Sports Complex
Or email documents to: email@example.com